This is a good 17th-century silver-gilt posy ring, inscribed with "lett loue continfew" (let love continue). The style of the lettering fits with other known examples from the 1650's - 1660's bearing traced makers marks. The ring is likely a provincial piece, as it was originally found near Marstow (Ross-on-Wye) recorded HESH-F08A9D and disclaimed as Treasure.
Posy rings were given by men and women as an expression of love, worn as a wedding ring or as a means of showing regard and friendship; the inscription on this example indicates this may have once been worn as a wedding band.
This ring is in excavated condition, with a few scuffs and dints from its time in the ground. The inscription is worn inside the band so too the gilding, so would have been worn for at least a lifetime of one happy couple. The join on the lower band seems to have opened with a very fine line, this can easily be resoldered by a competent jeweller if one wishes to wear it.
OBJECT: Posy Ring
DATE: c. 1660 - 1700 A.D.
RING SIZE: 7 1/2 (US) P (UK)
SIZE: 22.1mm x 7.2mm
WEIGHT: 6.20 grams
PROVENANCE: Found near Marstow (Ross-on-Wye) HESH-F08A9D / acquired from the finder
Fill in this form to email this item to a friend
Fill in this form to send us your enquiry
Please fill in the information below